Troubleshooting tips and general directions
About the troubleshooting section
This page is dedicated to directing users to the information they need to "help themselves". It's asked that users fully read the pages indicated to them, comprehend the information being given and follow the sections carefully when applicable.
Asking for direct support is currently not available. Even if it was, it should be the last option since if an user makes a question about something that already has been answered on the site then they'll probably just be linked right back here.
Most common issues and how to solve
- DS4Windows silently does not open, crashes or open as normal but then fail to Start everytime the "start" button is pressed followed by a error message on the Log
- Issues with getting your controller connected via USB or Bluetooth to the computer or to get them recognize by DS4Windows
- DS4Windows detects your controller and appear to function as normal, but games do not detect the controller
- Games detect the controller but it does not behave as expected when playing
- It usually boils down to: the double input issue was not prevented, the user is using a misconfigured profile or the physical controller itself is faulty
- Controller not behaving correctly in-game
Keyboard and mouse remapping related issues
Check the Keyboard & Mouse (KB+M) remapping issues page for the usual issues faced by users and how to solve them.
For help configuring and fine-tuning a profile to have the best possible keyboard and mouse control then you are out of luck as no such guide exists on this site at the moment.
Steam and DS4Windows relationship
- Steam and DS4Windows both have what is called "controller remapping" functions. To avoid conflicts, it's recommended that every Steam controller related option is disabled so only DS4Windows is being used as a remapper
- Your controller will work as normal in the vast majority of games regardless of Steam's controller related options being disabled
- A really small amount of Steam games require the usage of Steam's controller options to have working or full DS4 controller support (e.g.: Horizon Zero Dawn). For more information on this, check the Steam related information page.
- Steam ignores DS4 or DualSense controllers (real or virtual) if it detects DS4Windows is running on the user system, which makes no difference for most users as games will still detect the controllers as normal. The downsides to this Steam behavior are:
- Real or virtual Playstation controllers won't be able to control the Big Picture interface (emulated Xbox controllers work as normal)
- There are a few games that require usage of Steam's controller options to have working or full DS4 controller support (e.g.: Horizon Zero Dawn). Because DS4 controllers are ignored, it's not usually possible to use the controller through the required Steam's
Playstation Configuration Supportin those cases
- It's possible to prevent Steam from detecting that DS4Windows is running to workaround the points given above, but doing so can cause remapping conflicts depending on how both of them are configured, specially if the
Playstation configuration supportoption is enabled. As such, this should only be done if absolutely necessary! For more information on this, check the Running DS4Windows under a custom ".exe" name guide and the how to safely use both Steam Input and DS4Windows section
Headphone/mic issues when controller is connected
Check the dedicated Headphone or mic related issues troubleshooting page.
What to do when you've not found the solution to your issue on the site
ARE YOU DEFINITELY, 100% SURE THAT THE SITE DOES NOT CONTAIN INSTRUCTIONS ON HOW TO TROUBLESHOOT YOUR PROBLEM? Have you fully read the pages that could be related to your problem?
As it's written on the beginning of this page, if someone appears asking for help to something that already has been properly explained on the site then that person will just be linked right back to it.
To ask for help, users are welcome to reach us through DS4Windows' Discussion page (not the issue tracker, DISCUSSIONS!) as long as the user follows the instructions on the How to properlly ask for help page.